Why do we have them?
The purpose of having a governing body is to
- help the school to set high standards by planning for the school's future and setting targets for school improvement
- keep the pressure up on school improvement
- be a critical friend to the school, offering support and advice
- help the school respond to the needs of parents and the community
- make the school accountable to the public for what it does
- work with the school on planning, developing policies and keeping the school under review
- exercise its responsibilities and powers in partnership with the headteacher and staff
- not intervene in the day-to-day management of the school unless there are weaknesses in the school, when it then has a duty to take action
A school's governing body is a corporate body. This means it has a legal existence separate from that of its individual members. As long as governors have acted honestly, without ulterior motive, and reasonably, within the law and regulations, the governing body can't be held to account as individuals for any liabilities incurred by the governing body.
Who are the they?
The governing body is made up of the following people:
- Mr R Fredericks - Co Chair
- Ms L O'Hara - Co Chair
- Mr P Giles - Vice Chair
- Mr J Willis - Headteacher
- Mr G Lamb - Parent Governor
- Deacon F. McCarthy - Foundation Governor
- Mr M Burt - LEA Governor
- Mrs G Hanson - Foundation Governor
- Mrs A Kinslow - Staff Governor
Each class has an appointed Governor who meets with the class termly.
Year R - Deacon F. McCarthy
Year 1 - Mr Burt
Year 2 - Mr Giles
Year 3 - Mr Lamb
Year 4 - Mr Fredericks
Year 5 - Ms O'Hara
Year 6 - Mrs Hanson
Governing Body Register of Interest
Click on the link below to access the register of interests held by the governing body of St William of Perth.
Register of Interests
In this section you will find information about the work of the governing body.
In this section you will find reports by governors of visits to the school.
There is lots more information on the Department for Education's website.